Parents, please note this important message from Dr. Lemon regarding morning drop-off procedures.
To Oak Grove parents and guardians:
Hello! I would like to share a change in our morning bus and car drop off procedures or the upcoming school year.
As you know, traffic congestion can be a problem in the morning. often, we have cars and buses backed up all the way down O’Plaine Road. under the current procedures, we are only able to “unload” four or five cars at a time in the elementary parking lot. This prevents cars from turning into the elementary lot, which in turn, causes traffic to clog on O’Plaine Road.
At our Board of Education meeting on August 14, 2018, we discussed a switch that could help us reduce the traffic congestion, keep our busses on schedule, and reduce student tardiness to school.
Here is how we will conduct morning drop-offs:
• Busses will now drop students off in the north, elementary parking lot. There will be no parent drop-offs in the elementary parking lot in the mornings.
• Parents who are driving their children to school must drop them off in the south, upper (Junior High) parking lot at door 18 (the same spot used for afternoon pick up). Do not drop your children at the JH Gym doors.
• Cars will not be allowed to enter the “middle” traffic lane in the JH lot. We do not want students of any age potentially crossing in front of traffic.
• We will continue having staff out to help supervise the process. We will provide extra staff the first week or two as we acclimate to the new procedures. History tells us that the first couple of weeks of any school year are needed to get our drop-off patterns on schedule. We expect the same will happen with this change.
• During inclement weather, students who are dropped off will be allowed to enter the building at door 18.
• If you are driving your students to school and are just a few minutes late, we will still ask you to “check in” at door 18, especially for the first few days.
• Our afternoon pick up procedures will not change.
The administration, Board of Education, and our bus company all believe this change in procedures may help alleviate some of the traffic congestion in the mornings. We appreciate your support and patience with us as we implement the changes. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dr. Lonny Lemon