At the 2/26/19 meeting, the Board of Education made two important calendar decisions:
1) The current last day of student attendance for this year was scheduled to be Monday, June 10, 2019. There is a possibility that we could need one more snow/emergency day, which would put the last day of attendance as Tuesday, June 11, 2019. Based on the information we have at this time, the Board authorized Dr. Lemon to ask the Regional Office of Education (ROE) and Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) for approval of an amendment to this year's calendar. We will ask the ROE to allow us to attend school on Good Friday, which is April 19, 2019. If approved, we will have a student attendance day on Good Friday, April 19, 2019 with a 1:00 p.m. dismissal. If approved by the ROE and ISBE, and we do not need to utilize any more snow/emergency days, that will make the last day of student attendance Friday, June 7, 2019. If we would need another snow/emergency day, the Board still has time to consider any further amendments to this year's calendar.
2) The Board also set next year's (2019-20) calendar. Here are the highlights:
August 15--Teacher institute day
August 16--Teacher institute day
August 19--First day of student attendance
November 25--P/T conference
November 26--P/T conference
December 21, 2019--January 5, 2020 Winter holiday break
January 6, 2020--classes resume
March 21-29, 2020--Spring break
May 29, 2020--Earliest last day of school (without any snow/emergency days)
June 5, 2020--latest last day of school if 5 emergency days need to be made up
Additionally, the Board of Education elected to utilize the following days as options for making up snow/emergency days for next year:
- If the District uses a snow/emergency day prior to President's Day--February 17, 2020, it will become a day of attendance.
- If the District uses a second snow/emergency day prior to Good Friday--April 10, 2020, it will become a day of attendance.
- The Board will also continue to investigate the possible use of e-learning/remote learning/remote learning days to make up any snow/emergency days. Currently, the Illinois State Board of Education and the Illinois legislature is reviewing the use of e-learning/remote learning days. The District will continue to monitor the law and share information once it comes available to school districts.
- The Board authorized the usage of "late starts" for next year, if needed, for snow/emergency situations. There are situations where the weather and road conditions allow for a safe start to the day at 10 a.m. instead of 8:20 a.m. This can prevent the District from using a snow/emergency day.
- A late start would mean school would begin at 10 a.m. and end at the normal time of 3:20 p.m. The Superintendent would be responsible of notifying staff and guardians of the late start as soon as possible, so that parents could make plans. This can prevent the District from using a snow/emergency day.
- We would recommend that you not schedule vacations, etc. on President's Day or Good Friday next year, just in case they need to be used for "make-up" days of attendance.
- We also recommend that you do not schedule vacations, camps, etc. before June 5, 2020 as that could still be the last day of school, if there are no other options available.
These are the "highlights" of next year's calendar. The teacher's institute days, school improvement days, early dismissal dates and times will be provided later, but the District felt it was important to get the start/end/break dates to you as soon as possible.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Lonny Lemon at firstname.lastname@example.org
Oak Grove School District 68 would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Oak Grove School District 68 directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.