Dear Oak Grove Parents and Guardians:
There has been elevated discussion this week regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) how it might affect the United States, public institutions, and especially our schools. As a district, student, staff and stakeholder health, safety and well-being are our highest priorities. Districts across Lake County are working collaboratively to share best-practice preventative safety measures, and information from the state and federal agencies who guide us in such matters. In this document you will find resource information from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), and the Lake County Health Department (LCHD).
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19 infection. As with any respiratory virus, students and school personnel can protect themselves and others by taking every day common-sense actions:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Stay home when you are sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
At this point, IDPH does NOT recommend:
• the use of masks or gloves
• cancelling mass gatherings
• cancelling classes
The Lake County Health Department continues to work with related federal, state, and local agencies to monitor the Coronavirus and share critical information among those agencies. In the extreme event of a virus detection that might impact school districts the LCHD would take the immediate lead in assessment, advice and direction, up to and including decision-making and communication in conjunction with district officials. We will follow the direction and recommendations of our public health officials.
Oak Grove will continue to work closely with LCHD, the Regional Office of Education, and state and local agencies regarding the Coronavirus and other infectious diseases, and we will continue to share important information with you as it becomes available. Thank you and have a great weekend!
With Oak Grove pride,
Lonny B. Lemon, Ed.D.